Monday 22 September 2014

Day 73: A Study in Greens

I have a hedge around three sides of my house and all the windows at the back look directly onto it. Today, while sipping my tea, I decided to do a quick exercise on negative space, and the hedge was the perfect subject to explore this with.

There has been occasional talk from neighbours about perhaps removing the hedge but I am happy to say that the cost of doing so and replacing it with a fence has always proved too expensive. I am relieved I have never had to fight to keep it because I love seeing the green border that surrounds my house ... and the birds love it too. I so not want to lose it.

There are parts of rural New Zealand where hedges have been removed to make way for barb wire fences. I read the other day that some farmers are now replanting hedges. They certainly look more attractive marching along the landscape that wood and wire.




Medium: Winsor & Newton Watercolours on Strathmore Watercolour paper
Time to complete: 40 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment