Monday 14 July 2014

Day 5: Cafe Queen

I met friends for coffee today and took along my sketchbook as I hoped that, in between chatting, I would have a little time for people gazing.

The clientèle at a cafe around 11amish appear a little more relaxed. There isn't that feeling of impending deadlines, upcoming work commitments and limited time frames to hassle them along.  Although it was a cool day, the sun was shining and people had smiles on their faces and there were many meet and greet moments.

One lady, sitting at the table in front of me, was having a wonderful time reading a local paper and drinking her coffee. She was wearing an amazing deep blue wool coat with a wide faux fur collar. From time to time people would pass her on the way to and from the counter and she would take a break from her reading and pass a word or two. She was a delight to sketch because each time she finished a chat, she returned almost immediately to the exact position to read. 

When I was leaving, she asked me what I had been drawing. I showed her the sketch and she laughed and told me that I had missed most of her laughter lines and the wrinkles on her turkey neck. I bet she's a fun grandma.

Here she is:



Medium: Stabilo Black Ink Pen on Sketchbook paper
Time to complete: approx 20 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment